Monday, April 12, 2010

Slow and Steady wins the Taste Buds


I'm used to writing novels and painting pictures one small step at a time. Sometimes it's agonizing to know what the finished product will look like, but your hand can only move so fast. I had the pleasure last night of walking my fourteen-year-old son through cooking a three course meal. As I am prone to do, he chose recipes that were way over his beginner head. That didn't deter him.


He made up his shopping list and did the shopping (with a little help but that was mostly to pay!). Yesterday afternoon, he and I got out all the things he would need to make this meal. I have to admit I was a bit sceptical. He chose four interesting recipes: Cheese Bites, Parmesan Potatoes, Drumstick Cake, and Ginger-Orange Glazed Chicken. The cake he made Saturday. On Sunday, for 2 1/2 hours, he minced garlic and ginger, zested oranges, chopped potatoes and created a masterpiece.


Slowly and surely, all the bits and pieces came together to create a meal that even the pickiest eater in our house enjoyed. My son proud as he should have been. He even impressed his uncle, a chef.


So why am I talking about cooking in a blog devoted to writing and art? Cooking, as my friend Laura reminds me, is an art. One step at a time, you take something that might be nothing on it's own, but when blended or sauteed or mixed it can become something wonderful. Just like words and paint.


My son says he wants to be a lawyer or a teacher. After this weekend, he may consider a new vocation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Escape With a Writer Has MOVED!

  You can find all of the latest and greatest releases, interviews, and books at: https://escapewithawriter.wordpress.com/